Monday, April 28, 2014

A little bit of Hull

The hubs and I had a lovely weekend. We mostly relaxed but also managed to go to the Hull Real Ale and Cider Festival. It was held from Thursday til Sunday this past week and we managed to squeeze two visits in, we went on Friday evening to meet up with some of Sibz work friends and we returned on Saturday to use up our last couple of tokens (you had to buy tokens beforehand and then use them to buy your drinks). It was held at the Hull Trinity Church, its such a beautiful old building! Although a part of me was a bit skeptical about having an ale festival in a church it seemed to go really well from the short time we were there. And I finally managed to get to see the mice in the church! 

We were walking around the church on Saturday looking at all the details in the stone and woodwork (and I was trying to find the mice) while we had a drink and S stumbled upon this in the gifts section, as we were paying for it I asked the lady if she could point me in the direction of the mice around the church and she kindly called her husband over who gave us a tour of all the mice (well except one as it was being used during the festival) around the church. If I remember correctly there are 8 of them throughout the church. He also told us about the local craftsman George Peck who carved all the wooden figures on the pews, all of them are different (and there are a lot of pews!) and at the time they were considered pagan because of some of the images. It was all so interesting, Im really glad we finally went, even if it took the ale festival to get us there.

Sorry about the bad quality of photos, they were all taken on my phone. The above photo was actually a self portrait of George Peck playing his violin. 
And finally when we got home I baked pecan pie. I haven't baked a pecan pie in what must be close to 5 years! It turned out really nicely (other than my burning the top a little) and my husband loved it! 
xo Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment